- The world is ever-changing, so what we need to know in the future is different from what we needed to know in the past. How we will learn in the future is also different from how we learned in the past.
- Universities need to change in order to prepare students to participate fully and effectively in the future.
- The learning objectives and outcomes must be based on our understanding of what knowledge students will need to possess in order to be effective participants in society when they graduate.
- Universities should consider the the capabilities of the students entering university in order to design effective learning experiences. Student capabilities should not be a factor in determining learning outcomes.
- Universities must set their entrance requirements such that it is possible for students to meet the learning objectives after the multi-year learning experience offered by the university.
- If it is not possible for the university to design a multi-year learning experience that ensures that students have met the necessary learning objectives, then we have a problem.
On the challenges facing universities
March 15, 2010 by ebilodeau